Puppy – New Puppy Basics
Your New Puppy
It’s an exciting day, your new puppy is coming home! Just like any new adventure, a little advance planning will make having a new little pup around your home a fun, happy and successful experience.
- Patience – you’re going to need a lot of this, so stock up!
- Bed – just like us, your puppy will appreciate a warm comfy place to curl up and rest after a big day. Place your new puppy’s bed away from drafts, heat vents, etc.
- Leash – Your puppy will want to explore the great outdoors, and you’ll want to keep them safe. Choose from a wide variety, including retractable leashes.
- Collar – You should be able to fit a couple fingers under your puppy’s collar, but keep in mind they may grow fast.
- Tags – With your puppies name, address, and a way to contact you.
- Food – Make sure to choose a quality food formulated for puppies; no need for added grastrointestinal issues.
- Food and Water Bowls – So many choices!
- Training treats – Because your puppy will be the smartest dog ever, and able to learn amazing tricks.
- Housetraining pads and pet accident cleaning solution like Nature’s Miracle. There will be some bumps along the road to a housetrained dog.
- Toys – Puppies love to play, and giving them something to chew on besides your shoes, furniture, etc. can keep everyone happier.
- Carrier/cage – Dogs like having their own, secure place to hang out and rest, and many people use cages to help keep their dogs calm and happy. Plus you’ll want a carrier to take your new puppy along to show off.
- Brushes and combs, keeping in mind the length of your pup’s coat.
- Shampoo and conditioner.
- Nail clippers.
- Medications as prescribed by your veterinarian.
- Did somebody say veterinarian? Of course you’ll want to find a good vet to help guide you and care for your new puppy.